Commuting to work in a busy city can be a complicated experience.
When everyone in your area is hitting the roads at the same time, traffic can often leave you pulling your hair out. Not to mention, sitting with your car idling on the road for hours at a time isn’t great for the environment.
That’s why in many congested city spaces, people choose to ride their bikes to work instead. A commuter bike is a bike that you can use comfortably every day to make the trip to and from your job. Not only that, but the best commuter bike can come in handy for recreational travel too. For instance, you can use it when you want to visit friends or go shopping, provided that you have somewhere to store your goods (like a backpack).
There are many great bike options for commuting on the market today, all designed for speed, performance, comfort, and durability. Because of that, choosing the right bike for sale can be easier said than done. If you’re thinking of making the switch to the city bike life, the following article will give you the guidance you need.
What Exactly Is a Commuter Bike?
Before you can get caught up looking at things like average bicycle speed, or bike design, it’s essential to get a good look at the different commuting bikes available. There’s no one-size-fits-all for the best commuter bike. Just as there isn’t a single kind of commute or bike commuter, there’s no single best commuter bicycle.
The right choice for you is likely to depend on your preference and the kind of city you’re commuting in. These factors include the roads that you’ll be spending most of your time on, whether you’ll have any cargo that you need to haul on your city bike. You may also need to consider how comfortable you’re going to be on your commute if there’s a long journey ahead of you. Some of the points to consider when choosing between different bike types include:
- City bike design: Lightweight bikes and folding bike options can be excellent for convenience, but they might not be ideal if you need to cover tough terrain. If you’ll be venturing off the urban track, then basic road bikes might not be enough. You may need a bike that also includes tough tires, similar to a mountain bike. You might also need a steel frame for durability.
- Comfort: Different types of bicycles come with different Tools for comfort. The design of your trail bike will make a big difference to your comfort. Urban commuter bike models are often created to be lightweight and easy to carry, with features like contoured seats for better comfort. If you’re not sure which option will be best for you when you’re commuting by bike, it may be helpful to try some options out before you go to the bike shop. Alternatively, look at some commuter bike reviews.
- Wheels: The wheels on your bike will need to be strong enough to protect you regardless of the track that you take. Think about your journey each day as a city commuter. If you’re not just sticking to the road, then you might need a more robust tire to meet your bike commuting needs.
- Budget: If you want things like high-performance tires and a flip-flop hub on your bike, then you might need to look beyond basic cheap bikes. Think about the demands of your daily commute when planning your budget. Although you might not want to spend a lot of money, the best commuter bike won’t be much good if you avoid using it.
- Speed: Although you might be happy to take your time on a cruiser bike when you’re just enjoying the great outdoors, it’s a little different when you’re looking for the perfect city commuter bike. There are going to be days when you need to get to work as quickly as possible, which means looking for a bicycle with a good speed. You can usually check the average bicycle speed on the manufacturer’s website.
Why Use a Bike for Commuting?
Before you begin searching for the best cycling bike to get you to work every day, you might be wondering why you should be considering this method of transport in the first place. After all, there are lots of different ways to get to work in the city. Before you invest in a step-through bike or mountain bike, it’s worth knowing why you’re spending your money.
Some of the most common reasons to rid a city bike on the road to work include:
- Saving time: Although the average cycling bike can’t deliver anywhere close to the top speed of a car or motorbike, it can be a quicker and more convenient way to get to work for some people. If you find that you’re often getting stuck in traffic on the road to work, then a bicycle can help you to avoid these periods of congestion and reach your office faster.
- Fun: Commuting to work by bike can be one of the best ways to inject some fun into your day. You’ll get to take in the scenery around you, enjoy some fresh air, and reconnect with your inner child from time to time too. Depending on the types of bicycles you consider, you could even challenge yourself to go off the beaten track from time to time.
- Health: Commuting to work with city bikes is much better for your health than driving everywhere. You get some physical activity and exercise into your day. This could be particularly important if you generally sit in front of a desk all day at work. Biking to work burns calories, builds muscle, lowers blood pressure, and improves your coordination.
- Happiness: There’s nothing worse for feelings of stress and frustration than dealing with traffic on the road whenever you’re commuting in the big city. Getting rid of your daily drive in favor of a fun bike ride could be an easy way to cultivate more happiness. You’ll reduce stress, improve your sleep patterns, and even overcome feelings of anxiety. What’s more, exercising regularly enhances your physique so that you can enjoy better confidence too.
What is The Best Commuter Bike in the USA?
If you’re looking for the best commuter bike around, then you’re going to need a basic understanding of the available different bike types. Although there are many different bike types to choose from today, the most common city bike choices for commuters include:
The Mountain Bike
There are plenty of mountain bike brands offering fantastic options for those who want a robust biking option. Mountain bike designs come with extensive and textured tires, which means that you can rid them over obstacles. These bikes come with flat handlebars and rugged components to take more of a beating than other types of bikes. They’re great if you’re looking for bicycles that give you the equivalent of driving an SUV to work.
The Hybrid Bike
Hybrid bikes are some of the most reliable options for those who want an easy ride to work. The hybrid commuter bike gives you a good combination of comfort features and a strong wheel size. Traditionally, hybrids have a more substantial road bike wheel, though they might be a little thinner compared to the standard comfort bikes available on the market today. If you’re looking for a good commuter bike, a hybrid bike could be a good choice.
The Road Bike
The road bicycle is easy to identify because of its drop bars and its skinny tires. These bicycles have the best average bike speed in urban settings. The larger and thinner tires help these bikes to glide down the road with very little power. Additionally, a multi-position handlebar means that you get a lot of different grip variations to choose from. A road bike is a great choice for a commute to work if you’re riding on pavement. Commuter road bike designs can also be excellent if you’re going on longer rides.
If road bikes aren’t what you’re looking for, you could always consider a standard commuting bike or a cruiser bike. These cruiser bikes are great for general transportation. They come with various practical amenities, including a rear bike rack for storage, lights, bags, and locks. These accessories can help to turn your urban commuter bike into a more efficient tool. However, it’s worth noting that they don’t always handle rough terrain as well as a men’s mountain bike or a touring bike.
A foldable bike is an excellent choice for those who want convenience and practicality. As mentioned above, these bikes won’t handle a lot of different kinds of urban terrain. However, if you’re looking for a basic and lightweight bike that can fold easily for storage, then this is your choice. Folding bikes might also be helpful if you want the types of bikes that you can take with you into your office, rather than leaving them outside.
Finally, if you’re looking for good bikes that can generate a lot of power, then why not look beyond the standard cycle city experience, to an electric bike. Electric commuter bikes come with some extra power embedded, so you can go a little faster, and even cruise for a while without peddling if you need to. Excellent for taking your city bike experience to the next level, the electric bike is like nothing else on the market.
How to Find the Best Commuter Bike for Me?
Finding the best commuter bike for your needs means assessing the different types of bike on the market, and making a decision based on what you need.
For instance, if you have a short and very flat commute to work, then a simple one-speed cruiser could be all you need. There’d be no need to look through mountain bike brands unless you plan on going up hills or playing with different terrains. If you are going to be veering off the road from time to time, then looking at the top mountain bike brands with slick tires might give you a more comfortable ride.
Here are some top-selling options to consider.
Men’s Hybrid Cruiser
Although this bike from Amazon describes itself as a “men’s” commuter bike, it could easily be used as a women’s bike, too. If you’re looking for bicycles for sale that give you a combination of comfort and power as a rider, this could be the option for you. Perfect for urban settings, this hybrid bike comes with 7-speed options, 26-inch wheels, and rear handbrakes to allow for a wide range of riding experiences. There’s also a comfy synthetic leather saddle.
Trinx Road Bike
If you think a road bike is more your style, check out the road bikes from Trinx. These excellent bikes for commuting are excellent if you’re looking for an all-in-one bike for generally getting out and getting some exercise into your day. There’s a hi-ten steel fork, WinZip alloy brakes, and 21 speeds to choose from too.
Aluminum Fixie Bike
If you’re looking for a basic urban bike experience, this option works at a single speed. Unlike other three-speed bike alternatives, you’ll enjoy a single city bike experience wherever you go. This commuter bike is comfortable, easy to use, and makes daily cycling a breeze. The lightweight design even ensures that you won’t have to worry about carrying your bike around when you’re taking it into the office too.
Schwinn Mountain Bike
If you’re searching for the top mountain bike brands, then you can’t go wrong with Schwinn. The Schwinn durable aluminum bike comes with a powerful suspension fork that helps you to make the most of every ride, no matter the terrain. There are 24 speeds to choose from with your Schwinn bike, and there are front and rear mechanical disc brake levers too for complete control. The extra-wide alloy rims ensure a secure cycling experience.
Euromini Folding bike
If convenience and practicality are what you need, then the folding bike from Euromini has you covered. This touring bicycle comes with everything you could want from a folding bike, including a lightweight design so you can take it with you when you’re done cycling. Created to make your daily experience more fun and interesting, these city bikes from Euromini are a great choice for any cycle city enthusiast.
PXQ Electric luxury city bike
The PXQ is one of the most advanced city bike choices on the market today, and it comes with the price tag to match. The electric system comes with a lithium-ion battery, allowing for up to 50km on a single charge. There’s a high-strength alloy frame, designed for durability, and a shifter and brake system with rim brakes for extra control. If you’re looking for the ultimate electric commuter, this could be it. What’s more, the PXQ will make sure you stand out in any urban environment.
Finally, the Vilano pulse is a fantastic women’s electric bike designed for comfort and durability. With a luxurious saddle and a 36-volt lithium-ion battery, this is way more than your average urban touring bike. You can enjoy flat handlebar ergonomics, caliper brakes, and pedal-assist with 3-speed settings to choose from. There’s even a massive estimated range of up to 25 miles of coverage. The Vilano Pulse makes commuting easy.
How much should I spend on a commuter bike?
There’s more to finding the perfect commuting bike than budget. The best commuter bike is something that not only matches your individual needs, but offers you the speed, comfort, and support you’re looking for too. However, once you’re done researching things like average bicycle speed, you will want to consider the price of your bike for sale.
With good city bikes, you can often get what you pay for. While commuter bike choices are comfortable and efficient, the best way to think of your city bikes is as an investment. If you want a good fork, excellent brake technology, and a range of gear options, you need to spend a little more.
On average, good bikes will set you back between $500 and 1,500 dollars. If you’re looking for an electric option, rather than a standard cycling bike or touring bicycle, then you might spend a little more.
Remember, when budgeting, it’s essential to carefully assess all the components you need from a high-quality bike. Different types of bicycles come with separate price tags, depending on the gear options, saddle, hub, and fork.
However, if you’re new to cycling in the city or don’t think that you’re going to be using your bike to commute every day, you probably won’t need to spend too much of a fortune. Create a list of your favorite commuter bikes based on:
- Number of gear options
- Extra features, like flip-flop hubs
- Types of bicycles, like touring bicycle options, a step-through bike, and general cycle city bikes
- Safety options, like brake design
- Speed and performance on the road
Once you have your list, compare your options based on the commuting ride you’re looking for. Remember that there’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to commuter bikes. You need to find the city bike that’s most suitable for your needs.
Time to Change Gear on Your Commute?
Ultimately, if you’re looking for an excellent way to shake up your daily travel routine, there’s no better way than to search for the best commuter bike. There are plenty of options to choose from, ranging from hybrid bicycles to electric options. Your choice will depend on the journey that you plan to take each day and the unique requirements you have.
Our advice is to keep things simple. Look for a comfortable, easy-to-use bike, and doesn’t require a lot of maintenance. The more comfortable you get using your bike for your daily ride, the more you can begin to look into more advanced products when it’s time to upgrade your cycle.